Top things to consider when going through a separation
We specialise in helping women get their lives back on track financially after divorce. Getting divorced isn’t easy and isn’t quick – but there’s help available. Here are the top 6 things to consider if you’re going through a separation;
1. Ideally, you will have a bank account in your name only with sufficient cash available to get you through the short term. You may need to think ahead to have this ready before you separate – if possible.
2. Consider cancelling or updating any joint bank accounts, credit cards or utility accounts so that they are in one name only. Try and download and save any statements before doing this so you aren’t hit with any “manual statement” fees down the track if you need to go back and obtain statements.
3. Check and backup your electronic and paper records. Make sure you have your important documents filed such as passport, will and home-ownership records, as well as other sentimental files such as photos.
4. Change your PIN and passwords and make sure all your accounts are secure. This may mean that you need to check any devices you use where you may be permanently logged in, for example to email or Facebook.
5. Seek legal advice. A good solicitor will help you through the process, help to make it as pain-free as possible, without unnecessary delays and costs.
6. Seek financial advice. A good financial adviser will help you understand your settlement options and how they compare, and what they could mean for your personal situation. They can also help establish a strategy to help you get back on track financially. They will ideally be experienced with separation strategy as well as kind and understanding.
Please note that your situation will be unique and that there may be other things to consider, which is why it’s important to get personalised legal and financial advice.
Message Alison below for a FREE no obligation chat to help prepare you for divorce.